mr. t.......... on mission

encouraging one another to be on God's mission

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

when is it time to leave?

Perhaps the most difficult time in the life of a missionary/church planter is when it is time to leave. One church planter, Darrell , raised the question in a comment from the last post. How do we know when it is time to leave? What characteristics should the new church or churches demonstrate? Before I offer an opinion, let's look at the apostle Paul's example. Below is a summary of where Paul went during his missionary journeys. You will find the reference from the book of Acts, approximately how long he stayed, and the results. This comes from a document by S. Smith (from our org in Asia).

PAUL'S MISSIONARY MINISTRY (Total time - approximately 8 to 10 years)

Island of CYPRUS
13:4-5 Cyprus 4-6 weeks - Word shared in whole island of Cyprus.
13:6-12 Paphos (Cyprus) 2 weeks - Proconsul believes; possible church plant; miracle.

Province of PHRYGIA
13:14-52 Pisidion Antioch (capital of Phrygia) 3 weeks or more (possibly longer) - Church planted; word spread through the whole region (13:49); movement resulted, HS filled disciples; mainly gentiles; run out by persecution; weekly or daily meetings.

Province of GALATIA
14:1-6 Iconium (Galatia) "long time" 4-8 weeks? - Church planted; large number believed (v.1); bold witness with signs; stayed until run out by persecution.
14:6-20 Lystra (Galatia) 2 weeks - Church planted; some believers; no great results; stoned and run out of town by Jews.
14:20-21 Derbe (Galatia) several weeks? - Church plant & many disciples; preached gospel; good results.

GALATIA & PHRYGIA
14:21-23 Lystra, Iconium, P. Antioch (Galatia & Phrygia) several weeks - Re-visited disciples; strengthened them, encourage them to continue in face of persecution; appointed elders in each church (churches solidified); commended to Lord.

Province of PAMPHYLIA
14:25 Perga (Pamphylia) 1-2 weeks - Shared the gospel but no evidence of results.

CYPRUS
15:39 Cyprus - Barnabas and Mark re-visit disciples.

GALATIA
16:1-5 Derbe, Lystra, Iconium (Galatian region) several weeks or months - Strengthened the churches and disciples; impression that the number of churches has multiplied; disciples still increasing daily; Timothy taken as a team member.

Provinces of ASIA, MYSIA, BITHYNIA
16:6-7 Asia, Mysia, Bithynia several weeks - FORBIDDEN by Holy Spirit from sharing. Not the right time???

Province of MACEDONIA (Europe)
16:12-40 Philippi (capital of Macedonia) 2 weeks - Church plant; via 2 people of peace; miracle; sent away by authorities.
17:1-9 Thessalonica (Macedonia) 4-5 weeks - Church plant & large number of disciples; Jason as leader? Run out by Jews; weekly meetings, "day & night". "Upset the whole world!"
17:10-14 Berea (Macedonia) several weeks - Church and many disciples; Jews ran out Paul, but Silas & Timothy REMAIN a little longer.

Province of ACHAIA (Greece)
17:16-34 Athens (Achaia) 2 weeks - Few disciples, possible church plant; left because of poor response?
18:1-18 Corinth (Achaia) 1 and 1/2 years - Weekly training; great harvest; raised up Priscilla & Aquila, Titius Justus. This time NOT run out but protected by authorities. Taught the word of God to them. Probably all of Achaia (Greece) evangelized from here.

Province of ASIA
18:19-21 Ephesus (Capital of Asia) 1 week - Great interest from locals, Paul decides to return one day. Priscilla & Aquila left there.

PHRYGIA & GALATIA
18:23 Phrygia & Galatia several weeks - Re-visited churches strengthening disciples.

Province of ASIA
18:24-20:1 Ephesus (Asia) 3 years - Apollos continues witness. He leaves & Paul finds disciples there. Then begins witnessing & training daily regarding the kingdom of God. Everyone in Province of Asia hears word! Seven churches of Revelation started. Great miracles, radical commitment by disciples (life transformation). Apparently Ephesus is the base for mission (the new Antioch?). Great uproar. Night & day for 3 years with tears Paul admonished believers (20:31). Paul finally leaves.

MACEDONIA & ACHAIA
20:1-2 Macedonia several weeks, months - Re-visited and encouraged the disciples.
20:2-3 Greece (Achaia) 3 months - Re-visited and encouraged the disciples; run out by Jews.
20:3-5 Macedonia short visit - On way back to Jerusalem.

ASIA
20:6-12 Troas (Asia) 1 week - Encourages disciples from the Asia mission in Ephesus.
20:15-38 Miletus (Asia) 1 week - Final exhortation to Ephesian elders to take up their shepherding responsibilities.

Okay, did you notice anything about the length of time Paul stayed in any one place? Most of the time it was very short, only weeks, maybe months. The longest period of time was three years. So, we can learn from this that there is no certain length of time required to plant viable churches.

Another observation is that Paul laid the foundation, baptizing initial believers and teaching them to obey before moving on. After leaving, we see Paul's teammates often stayed behind or revisited. Sometimes Paul revisited the church or churches to encourage and strengthen them. We also know that he followed up through correspondence. So, the new churches were not abandoned, however, Paul never stayed. In every case he left for another field.

The Holy Spirit led Paul from place to place and we assume indicated when it was time to leave. (In many cases persecution was the determining factor).

When Paul left, the new church was empowered by the Holy Spirit to continue the work among their own people, spreading the gospel, planting new churches and maturing in their faith by obeying the word.

Missionary (church planting) ministry is different from pastoral ministry. The missionary stays as long as the Holy Spirit and circumstances controlled by God's sovereignty permit. The missionary is an outsider used by God to initiate new work among people of a different culture. The missionary will revisit from time to time, follow up through correspondence, and team members may stay on. But the missionary team should never stay in the same place indefinitely. The new churches must grow up and take responsibility for their own people, the sooner, the better.

How do we know it is time to leave? By following the Holy Spirit's lead and submitting to God's sovereignty. As missionaries/church planters we should regularly ask the Lord to "show us the door" when it is time. We should make sure that we have done everything possible to "teach them to obey" before we leave (the last part of the Great Commission). One indicator for me has been: Are my disciples making their own disciples? Do we see a third generation of disciples obeying the Lord?

When it is time to leave, does this mean that we make a physical move to another state, region or country? That is up to the Holy Spirit. He will lead if we will follow, and it depends on the sovereignty of God in our lives. Some will live in the same place for years but change focus or travel to different areas within the same region. Others will make a more drastic move. The important thing for the missionary is to always maintain an attitude of "wherever He leads, I will follow."

10 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

You are a man of your word! I had a huge grin as I pulled up your Blog today! Thanks for the love man!

I had observed the time element in Paul's work before, however your work here is far more indebt. It is hard for me to imagine how Paul was able to do so much in such short periods of time.

Much of your answer is "follow the Lords leading". That is always a good answer...like when I was in Sunday school and if I didn't know the answer I always said, "JESUS!":) I was hoping for more concrete signs that a church is ready for you to leave.

I think clarification on "leave" in needed here.

I see three "leavings"

1. When you quit attending the regular gatherings of the church.

2. When you quit meeting with the leaders of a church for equipping.

3. When you are only around if they need you, or you hear of trouble that needs your attention.

You mentioned that:

"One indicator for me has been: Are my disciples making their own disciples? Do we see a third generation of disciples obeying the Lord?"

So leaving here would be from what? 1, 2, or 3?

Are there things that you make sure they are able to do before you leave #1, #2, and #3?

I realize that at your stage in the game you are not the one meeting with the "pre-church" groups. You have trained others who are doing this and you are focused on training leaders.

What do you teach the folks who meet persons of peace, then work with them to gather a group? The church planter must be around long enough for what essential skills, truths, etc. to be learned and doing. What would those be?

Right now I am feeling like the Lord is leading me to step back from meeting with the first church I planted. Since I have never done this before, and since I have no one who has done this kind of CPM work here to advise me, I am kind of lost when making this kind of decision. This church could die or it could fly. If it dies I don't want to one day learn that I failed it somehow. I understand God is Sovereign...thank God! However I want to be a good and faithful servant.

Thanks Mr. T I am so blessed by your help!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since leaving is such a difficult thing in church planting, we have taken the position to not ever have anything to leave behind! In other words we ourselves do not plant churches as missionaries, rather we are catalysts working to mobilize others to plant churches. We Ms are behind the scenes and nearly always have to be introduced to the new church plants as "the missionary". Most are glad to have us visit, but look to their own church planter as their leader.

One problem we have encountered is that most of those we have worked with to plant a church tend to stay in the church they have planted. They tend to transistion from church planter to servant-leader. This servant leader role is akin to a pastoral role. There are very few who plant a church like we find in the NT where Paul would stay a few weeks and move on as you describe in your post.

I would like to see more church planters following Paul's model, but the financial dependency barrier that Ken Sorrell is blogging about these days over at his site is one of the barriers that have made this all but impossible for our people to follow.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T

I am still working through the significant paradigm shift that has taken place in our organization in the last 15 years. When we went through missionary orientation all we heard was go plant your life in a place and among a people, for the rest of your life.

I'm not opposed to leaving and in many cases I do believe it is appropriate. My question is simply this. Are there situations in which "missionaries" would never leave?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:21:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Patterson said...

Darrell,

I appreciate you and your commitment to N.T. church planting. I need to treat your questions with more thought and prayer. Perhaps in the next post. You are in the thick of it and I want to help, if that is possible.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:47:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Patterson said...

Guy,

You make a great point. You are a catalyst and stay in the background, thus there is no problem with "leaving" the new churches. However, you are continuing in a mentoring role with leaders. I take it you have not left them? You are discipling people at some level, so there will come a time that you should leave and commend them to the Lord's hands. Otherwise, they never grow up. Maybe you have already experienced leaving some of those leaders.

The problem you describe of church planters staying on as pastor is very common. That is why we do not allow our people gifted as church planters to stay with a church that they plant. That is not their role. If they do, they cease being the "sent one" and take on a pastoral role. Missionaries will do some pastoral things, but they are primarily missionary. Pastors will do some missionary ministry, but they are primarily pastors. If you follow the model you describe you will most likely kill any chance of generational growth and thus, multiplication. Most of the churches will be stuck with a second generation and very few will reproduce a third.

Just some thoughts, not saying I have it all figured out, still struggle with those you describe that are really pastoral to get them to reproduce. We invest in the ones that are apostolic and never intend to pastor a church plant. You need that type. That does not mean they are the only ones to plant churches, they set a pattern that others follow. They may initially lead the inductive Bible studies but simultaneously train others to take that on so they can leave to start work elsewhere. Of course they try to leave behind churches that plant other churches without them. So, it is both/and.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Patterson said...

Ken,

I hear you. I think those that never leave cease to be missionary in their ministry.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Guy

I can't wait when I will have that wonderful option of training others. For now there are just a few of us who are efforting this kind of church planting.

As I read the comments I was impressed with the unfortunate reality of the expectation of one man being "The Pastor". I think this really weakens the church. I have gone to great lengths to put multiple leaders in place with more then just the pastor/teacher gift being observed. I know you teach this as well and much of what people do is following the other examples of church they see.

When a simple church is where no one person is doing the stuff, but rather one where everyone is seen as needed, and everyone is being equipped with the 5 gifts, then the church has a real potential to multiply. So in the two churches I have planted thus far the model is one where everyone is expected to lead, and serve. It has not been easy, but once folks saw that everyone could learn how to teach, or lead worship, or organize and that those things can look many different ways it has become fun.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 4:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr t,

Great biblical overview! Thanks for the work on this.

I have thought, though, that, while emphasizing the brevity of many of Paul's missionary stays, the point has largely been passed over that, towards the end of his ministry, his stays seem to grow longer. Is this just accidental, or could it have something to do with a development in Paul's strategical thought pattern? Would it be possible that, for instance, in the Ephesus ministry, we have the best example of Paul's mature missiology, tested in the fire of field experience, put into practice?

Also, I agree with Darrell, that is is hard to go against the advice to "just follow the Lord's leading." One factor I take into consideration, however, when thinking about the question of possible moves between locations, languages, and cultures, is that of stewardship of time and resources invested. To what degree, if I were to move, would I be being a bad steward of everything I have poured into learning a particular language and culture, or even, building up a relationship network that provided a good platform for doing effective ministry?

Of course, God sometimes leads us to do things that don't seem to make sense from a totally human standpoint. But, just as I have pointed out on Stepchild's blog in a few recent posts, God's leading in our lives (at least, as I understand it) is processed both through the left side and the right side of our brains.

In any case, I do completely agree with what I understand to be your central thesis: the need to separate between "apostolic" church-planting ministry, and on-going "pastoral" ministry.

Saturday, December 09, 2006 2:11:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Patterson said...

Good comments David. I agree that in Ephesus it could have been a maturing of Paul's missionary strategy. But even at that, he didn't stay, he moved on. He might have stayed longer in some other places had it not been for the persecution. As I mentioned, it has to with the Holy Spirit's leading and God's sovereignty in our lives.

Thanks for reminding us that good stewardship should be one consideration. Many times leaving does not require a physical move. It requires changing our role. I hope to write more about that in the next post.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Patrick

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home